Summertime has a way of making people a bit complacent when it comes to securing their homes and vehicles. This is also the time when a lot of crafty burglars are out on the prowl, taking advantage of this lax security. Most of the security issues during this time of the year are regarding people entering your home through an unlocked door while you’re in your own backyard. Just don’t forget your keys or you’ll need a locksmith.
Situations Where You’ll Find Yourself Needing a Locksmith This Summer
There are a lot of break-ins and snatch and grabs in the summertime that happen simply because you didn’t lock your windows and doors. You never know for sure who’s out walking about your neighborhood and whether they belong there. While a neighborhood crime watch is a good thing here, even then you can’t be too certain about everyone who’s in your neighborhood. Leaving your windows open while you sleep is a great way to let fresh air into your home and save some money on your electric bill too. However, you can’t overlook your safety, even when you’re in your own home. Burglars are opportunistic thieves who will jump at any opportunity that’s presented to them. Oftentimes they’ll act so fast that you won’t even notice until it’s too late.
Staying Safe This Summer
- There are a few things you can do to keep yourself safe this summer, including: Lock your windows and doors securely even if you’re only leaving home for a few minutes.
- Install simple door chimes so everyone in your home knows who’s coming and going.
- Make sure your valuables aren’t within reach of windows and doors. Place motion activated spot lights in your yard. LED operated lights are great because they light up the night just as bright as the daytime.
- Never tell anyone when you’re on vacation. Instead, save the social media posts for when you come back from vacation. If you need to tell anyone you’re going on vacation, make sure it’s only a few select people whom you feel you can trust to watch over things for you while you’re gone. You can also call and tell your local police station when you’ll be gone so they can put you on a list for a “drive by.”
- Use window stops when you choose to leave your windows open while sleeping at night. This ensures that there isn’t enough room for a burglar to get into your home. If you can’t use these, consider drilling a small hole 8 – 10 inches above your closed window and inserting an object (e.g. a nail or peg) there to prevent your window from being opened any further.
When you’re in need of a locksmith this summer, contact us at Florida Lock Doctor. We’ll help keep you safe by making sure that every lock on your home is in great working condition. So, call us today and spend the rest of your summer relaxing without worrying about your home’s valuables.
Photo credit: laterjay